Friday, 7 August 2015

A day in Rio De Janeiro

It was a lovely sunny morning. The weather has been really kind to us. So we set off this morning to take the train up the mountain.  It's a small narrow gauge affair that was built in the 1880's and is still going strong. A ride to arrive at the feet of Christ the Redeemer. Now I am in awe. This is a very different perspective to the one you have looking up from afar.

Having taken the train to the feet of the Christ. The intimacy of such closeness and how you see the world below and around you I have changed my opinion.

There's a very profound message in there for discussion another day I'm just thinking, suffice to say it's all about closeness. What you experience close up and from a distance.

The beaches, the bays, the islands off shore, the harbour, lagoon, race course, the mountains around, the jungle, the tower blocks and the favellas all come together under the sun to create a thing of beauty.

The people are happy and cheery too. Always willing to give a smile and very grateful to be thanked with Obrigado as opposed to Gracias. 

So we looked down from every side and angle it seemed then took the train down. It's quite steep I found myself sliding off the seat on the way down. Just for the record as you're looking at the train and looking up the mountain the right hand side of the train affords the better views.

So then it was a trip across the city to the cable car, 2 stops with a lunch break at the first stop found us at the top of another show stopping mountain top 360 degree view. It is a beautiful city.

Then we drove back to the Hotel. Not the best we've experienced but I must say the view from the 30th floor rooftop bar up and down the length of Copacabana Beach does take a bit of beating.

So I'm writing this on our last evening in South America, it's been an extraordinary holiday, it is one of those once in a life time holidays. I doubt we would come this way again. But, for now we're still here so it's a case of getting up and out to see what's what in the bustle and madness below.

I'm lying in an oasis of calm in a room on the 11th floor the door onto the balcony open with the madness below, never silent, making its presence felt.

Out for our last evening all together now, see you all soon, I'm looking forward to that xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment