After the business of the city this place is a welcome relief. The old city, I use the word loosely is situated on a peninsula. You can see the usefulness of it as a vantage point.
This place has been fought over for centuries, first the Portuguese then the spaniads, the British had a part to play as occupiers too.
Today, it's a relative oasis of calm 'we have no poor people' says the guide. I'm not sure about that, but what they have got is a quiet, gentle old city with a white sand beach that stretches for miles and the coast road is studded with Argentinian holiday homes. People from the states too have liked it's charm, as well as Europe, all building holiday homes. All very tastefully done too, neat with gardens of indigenous flowers. Makes a change from the mess of Lima and La Paz.
There's a bit of an old world charm about the place. Lots of birds flying about including these green parakeets that make one hell of a racket squabbling about this and the other. I would cheerfully shoot them the noise they make. Perhaps it's not so quiet!!!!
It's a lazy place, long leisurely lunches, in the sun. We've been lucky with the weather again. Not so lucky from a gut point of view. I'm not sure if it's a case of my gut protesting because of all its had to deal with or I have picked something up. Symptoms would suggest the latter, I'll leave it at that.
So, we've walked, and sat and fell asleep on a park bench, at least I did. One hot chocolate and some water later and we're waiting to be picked up. Can't come too soon to be honest!!!
On the bright side, if I was in the business of ticking countries off a list, there's one more ticked off.
Up early against tomorrow to fly to the falls. Two days of relative peace then it's the bright lights of Rio, then the not so bright lights of Radyr!!!
I'd never heard of Colonia until you mentioned it yesterday, it sounds lovely. Since you mentioned it I have been reading up on it. I love its full name 'Colonia del Sacramento' - City of the Blessed Sacrament. Sounds like a fascinating place.
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear about your stomach, I think it has to happen on a visit to Latin America - its not for nothing that the Spaniards called the ailment Montezuma's revenge or alternately - The Gringo Gallop or The Aztec Two-step. I hope it passes soon.
It's like a forgotten south coast beach town, one that never quite made it as a holiday destination. Or one that fought ever being.such. The beach goes on for miles off the peninsula and is fronted by very nice fairly conservative holiday homes.
ReplyDeleteIt's a pity I wasn't well at that point, couldn't do it justice
It's like a forgotten south coast beach town, one that never quite made it as a holiday destination. Or one that fought ever being.such. The beach goes on for miles off the peninsula and is fronted by very nice fairly conservative holiday homes.
ReplyDeleteIt's a pity I wasn't well at that point, couldn't do it justice
It's like a forgotten south coast beach town, one that never quite made it as a holiday destination. Or one that fought ever being.such. The beach goes on for miles off the peninsula and is fronted by very nice fairly conservative holiday homes.
ReplyDeleteIt's a pity I wasn't well at that point, couldn't do it justice
It does sound nice. I'll add it to the list of places I'd like to go whenever we do a Latin American trip.
Delete