What an impressive city. I think this is in a big part because it's so culturally congruent with my own experience and also therefore because it's what and how Lima and La Paz aren't.
I had mixed emotions about coming here as my cousin Clifford who was a Sergeant in the Welsh Guards was killed on the Sir Galahad In Bluff Cove during the Falklands War. The television coverage of the burning ship has been in my mind.
I felt guilty about enjoying it so much, it's a bit like the time I bought a Japanese car and was concerned about how my father would feel. (He was in The Chindits and fought them in the gurgles of Burma, behind the event lines for years during the war).
Anyhow I have lead those ghosts to rest though still respecting Clifford I intend to enjoy this place.
There are two other big first impressions, one a hugh silhouette portrait of Eva Peron on the side of a high rise block, as you drive into the city from the airport. The second was the Tour Guides considerable coverage of the issues related to security. Pick pockets in particular, who have skills and degrees of sophistication and competence that Fagin would be proud of. So I've been on a war footing in that regard continually scanning front and behind as they work in teams. That hasn't helped the thinking about Clifford and the Falklands.
So, we went out last night to an Italian, en mass not far from the Hotel with Sandra, the Tour Guide. She did say that the portions were big but we all thought we could manage one whole dish. How wrong we were! Even I couldn't manage it. The food was good too.
A walk home and back to bed and all things considered a lovely sleep. Here I am Sunday morning looking forward to the day and I want to try and get to Mass this evening. Shaun said he might come I tentatively asked him and Di said she'd like to come which funnily enough didn't surprise me.
So that's where we're at other than to acknowledge it's a very attractive society, a cultured place. It's got a very European feel to it and that makes the Falklands War more difficult to accommodate. One last observation. They've got a Harrods here but it's empty and almost derelict. I acknowledged the pity of that to Sandra she agreed. I think she was a bit economical with the truth, there's a relationship to the Falklands War and Fayed the owner of Harrods pulled out, he is a royalist.
Hi Kath,
ReplyDelete"culturally congruent" - you are sounding like a sociologist not a nurse educator :-)
Interesting to hear Buenos Aires keeps its European identity more than other parts - later settlement by Italians and other non-Iberian Europeans must have influenced its culture as everyone I know says it is very different from the rest of Latin America.
Did you know Buenos Aires has a link to Cardigan - The image of Our Lady of the Good Air (or fair winds by some translation) originates in Sardinia (another Italian link) and the Sardinian veneration comes from a shipwrecked statue of Our Lady of the Good Air, presumably from a Spanish ship, which washed up on the coast of Sardinia in 1380. This statue was based on the one that since 1160 had been venerated in Cardigan under the title of Our Lady of Cardigan (or in more recent times Our Lady of the Taper). The monestary founded at Cardigan was destroyed by Henry the VIII and the staute taken to London and burnt by Thomas Cromwell. But veneration to Our Lady of the Taper remains at the Catholic shrine in Cardigan. Now you have visited the City named after her, perhaps a trip to the shrine in West Wales can be one of your caravan trips when you are home.
Two very different places very far apart with the same image of Our Lady as patron, must be worth following up the link :-)
More about Our Lady of Cardigan can be read here - Our Lady of Cardigan: A History.
ReplyDeleteThank you Haydn for that bit of your local knowledge. I shall have a look. You couldn't get two more different places though could you Cardigan and Beunos Aires!!!
ReplyDeleteThank you Haydn for that bit of your local knowledge. I shall have a look. You couldn't get two more different places though could you Cardigan and Beunos Aires!!!
ReplyDeleteThank you Haydn for that bit of your local knowledge. I shall have a look. You couldn't get two more different places though could you Cardigan and Beunos Aires!!!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI've just started reading that work Haydn and was struck by the Preface. Did you know the Priest? Is he still alive? Sounds a daft thing to say maybe but he sounds like a lovely man.
ReplyDeleteHi Kath,
DeleteYes, Canon Cunnane is a lovely man, retired now, but still one of the most gentle reflective people I've had the pleasure to meet.
He celebrated his Diamond Jubilee of priesthood just a little while ago